How To Buy
Streaming video — Available at ShopClass.PopularWoodworking.com
DVD — Order now on ShopWoodworking.com
Learn more about all Roy Underhill episodes here.
Episode Guide Season 9
- Making A Butterfly Table — In the beginning of a three-part project, join Roy as he builds the frame for this early Colonial two-sided drop-leaf tavern table.
- Making the Drop-leaf Rule Joint — Roy continues the building process for the Butterfly Table by creating the top using a drop-leaf rule joint.
- Dovetailing Drawers — In the final part of Making A Butterfly Table, Roy makes the half-blind dovetailed drawer that fits underneath the top.
- The Dancing Toys — Roy makes three toys: a Limberjack dancing toy; an acrobat toy and a jointed toy.
- Make Gypsy Willow Chairs — This classic rustic chair is easily made by bending green twigs. Roy shows the steps to make your own.
- Tinsmithing for Fun & Profit — Roy visits with 3rd generation tinsmith, Peter Blum, who shows how to make a candle holder, a heart-in-hand cookie cutter, a pie plate and a tin whistle.
- Boxes Without Topses — Roy makes four boxes: a bamboo birdcage; a carved figure box with hidden valuables compartment; an exploding bank box and a snake box.
- Order in the Court – Roy visits the restoration site of the 18th-Century James City County Courthouse, in particular, the interior casework and millwork.
- Bricks Without Straw — Roy visits Colonial Williamsburg to learn about the all-but-forgotten skill of creating bricks by hand.
- Log Cabin Building, Pt. 1 — In this first of three shows, Roy explains first steps in building a traditional log cabin. First the trees must be felled, debarked and notched.
- Log Cabin Building, Pt. 2 — In this episode, Roy creates the doorway for the cabin, frames the roof and lays the roofing boards in place…all without using any nails.
- Log Cabin Building, Pt. 3 — In the final log cabin episode, Roy shows how to chink and daub the gaps between the logs and adds a stick-and-mud chimney for the cabin. Lastly, he adds the door.
- Marquetry: Painting With Wood — Roy welcomes Chris Lang to look at the traditional woodworking technique of marquetry, and how to create a shell medallion.
Discuss this season in the comments below.
Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.