- Free Plans and Projects
- Furniture Projects
- Jigs And Fixtures Projects
- Shop Projects
- SketchUp Models
- Shop Storage
- Free Woodworking Downloads From Lee Valley
- Marking And Measuring
- Woodworking Glossary
- Workshop Tips
- Premium Streaming Video Site
- Experts Guide to Gluing & Clamping Wood
- Mastering Built-In Furniture
- Simple Live-Edge Slab Table
- CNC – Designed for Woodworkers
- Milling Your Own Lumber
- Advanced Bandsaw Techniques
- I Can Do That! – Simple Woodworking Projects
- Woodwright’s Shop with Roy Underhill
- Tricks of the Trade
- American Woodworker Archives
- Shop Blog
- Chris Schwarz Blog
- People And Places
- Flexner On Finishing Blog
- Popular Woodworking Magazine
- Digital Editions
- Give A Gift
- Woodworking Magazine Reprints
- Premium Streaming Video
Keep Everything Hanging Tight With the Best Hollow Wall AnchorsLast updated: 29 Jul 2022
An age-old classic, the hollow walls have been around for countless years and have become a staple. But working with these walls can often time cause challenges, especially when you try to hang things on them. Although it can be difficult to hang things on a hollow wall, it isn't impossible, especially with the help of a hollow wall anchor.
If you have something heavy that you need to hang on your wall, then you need a good-quality anchor to ensure it stays in place. There are many different types of anchors to choose from these days, so how do you know which one is for you? Fear not because we’re here to help. This article will look at some of the market's highest-rated hollow wall anchors for 2022 and help you choose the right one for your needs.Show contents
Buyer’s Guide to Finding a Hollow Wall Anchor
Picking the right anchors can mean the difference between a secure installation and a disaster. Here’s a quick guide that will help you reach the best hollow wall anchors for your projects.
What To Look for in Hollow Wall Anchors
When looking for a hollow wall anchor, one of the first things you'll want to consider is the weight limit. Make sure to choose an anchor that can support the weight of your object, plus a little extra, just to be safe. Additionally, with so many different weight limits available, finding one for your needs is only a quick search away.
Screw and bit size
For wall anchors to be effective, they need to be the right size for the job. That means choosing an anchor that's large enough to support the weight of your object but not so large that it won't fit in the hole you're drilling. Measure the hole you'll be drilling before heading to the store to know what size anchor to look for.
Some hollow wall anchors are easier to install than others. If inexperienced in using these types of anchors, it's best to choose an easily installed anchor. Some of the most common installation methods include hammer-in, push-in, and screw-in.
Types of Hollow Wall Anchors
There are many hollow wall anchors, each with specific installation requirements and intended use.
- Toggle bolts: These are the strongest type of hollow wall anchors. Installing them is a little challenging as you need to drill a rather deep hole in the wall. Toggle bolts should only be used in walls made of solid materials such as wood or brick.
- Molly bolts: Molly bolts are similar to toggle bolts but much easier to install. They can be used in solid walls as well.
- Expansion anchors: Expansion anchors work by expanding once inside the wall, creating a tight fit. They are easy to install, and you can use them on solid and hollow walls.
- Self-Drilling anchors: As the name suggests, self-drilling anchors do not require a separate drilling bit. Although these are easy to install, the endurance of these anchors is a little lacking.
- Plastic anchors: The weakest amongst the bunch, the plastic anchors are very easy to install but should only be used in light-duty applications.
Tips on Installing Hollow Wall Anchors
Hollow wall anchors are easy to install and support a good amount of weight. Let us look at some of the tips for installing wall anchors.
- First things first, you need to drill in a hole known as the pilot. The size of the pilot will be in accordance with the anchor you are using.
- Tap the anchor into the pilot hole. Be careful not to overtighten the anchor, or it might strip the wallboard.
- Place a long screw within the anchor so that it holds against the wallboard.
- Tighten the screw until the anchor is secure and you’re ready to hang things on it.
- Hang your item on the screw and give it a little tug to check if the screw is secured in place.
Hollow wall anchors are a great way to hang items on your walls without finding a stud. Just make sure to drill the correct size pilot hole and not overtighten the anchor.
The Great Hollow Wall Anchor 2022 Models in Detail1– Best OverallCheck On AmazonTHE SCOOP
If you’re looking for a way to quickly and easily hang things on your walls, look no further than the ISPINNER Zinc Plated Hollow Wall Anchor! These anchors are made of high-quality zinc-plated carbon steel, so they’re rust-resistant and corrosion-resistant. Just drill a hole, insert the anchor, and screw it in!
These anchors are made to hang lamps, photo frames, curtains, coat racks, power switches, and more. So next time you need to hang something on your wall, reach for the best overall wall anchors on the market!2– Best for Medium DutyCheck On AmazonTHE SCOOP
Don’t let hollow walls stop you from hanging things up! With these hollow wall anchors from ITW Brands, you’ll be able to put up shelves, mirrors, and picture frames. These anchors are suitable for medium-duty applications and are also highly durable.
Additionally, the 50-pack of these anchors ensures you’ll always have some on hand when you need them. Plus, they’re easy to install – just drill a hole and screw them in. These anchors are also very easy to remove, so you can take them with you when you move. They also protect your walls from damage that other more aggressive anchors can cause.3– Top Heavy-DutyCheck On AmazonTHE SCOOP
Hang your wall shelves with confidence using the Bicmte Hollow Wall Anchor kit. The anchors are made of high-quality plastic and the screws of stainless steel with superior rust resistance. They will securely hold your shelf in place without any fear of losing it over time. This handy kit lets you quickly and easily install your wall shelf in just minutes.
The split in the anchor allows it to expand on two sides as you tighten the screw, giving it a stronger grip and preventing it from coming loose. The anti-rotation design keeps the anchor from turning as you drive the screw in, making for a quicker and easier installation. With 30 anchors and screws included, this kit has everything you need to get your wall shelf up in no time.4– Top Multi-UseCheck On AmazonTHE SCOOP
You can never go wrong with a classic. The Confast Self-Drilling Hollow-Wall Anchor is one such classic that has held its own for years. With no hole preparation required, this anchor is suitable for drywall needs. Made from durable zinc, it’s easy to remove and reinstall. The deep thread design provides strong engagement and locks into many drywall sizes for maximum holding power.
With a large size of 8, the Anchor can hold up to 50 pounds of sheer weight. Additionally, the kit comes with 50 screws to make your life that much easier—quick, hassle-free installation right at your fingertips.5– Top AssortedCheck On AmazonTHE SCOOP
As the saying goes, “a house is not a home without Qualihome drywall and hollow-wall anchors.” But seriously, if you need extra support around the house, look no further than this handy kit. It includes all the basics, like screws and wall anchor hooks, as well as a hollow-door toggle anchor for those tricky places. This kit can easily hold light to medium weight loads in drywall and masonry.
These anchors also come in a handy plastic organizer case so that you can keep all your supplies in one place. And the best part? The color of the anchors and package design may vary so that you can find the right match for your home. So go ahead and give your home the support it needs with Qualihome drywall and hollow wall anchors.
People Also AskedQ: What is a hollow wall anchor used for?
A: A hollow wall anchor is used to hang pictures, shelves, and other objects on walls without drilling into studs. They are also useful for securing drywall to studs to prevent the drywall from cracking or falling off.Q: How do you remove a hollow wall anchor?
A: First, use a screwdriver or drill to remove the screw or nails holding the object in place to remove a hollow wall anchor. Afterward, just twist the anchor out using a pair of pliers.Q: Can I use a toggle bolt in drywall?
A: Toggle bolts can be used in drywall, but people often find their strength severely lacking compared to other bolts. The best way to secure something to drywall is to use screws or nails that are long enough to reach into a stud.