The Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event started about an hour ago, and runs until 6 p.m. tonight (and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. tomorrow, Saturday April 16) in our office and shop (4700 E. Galbraith Rd., Cincinnati, OH 45236). Along with Lie-Nielsen, Glen-Drake Toolworks, Jeff Miller, Matt Bickford, DAED Toolworks and Czeck Edge Tools, the Society of American Period Furniture Makers is here giving demos in period techniques and tools. I don’t have a schedule for today, but in the picture above, John Fitzpatrick is discussing the techniques he’s using to build and carve the Philadelphia lowboy in the background.
I do, however, have the SAPFM demo schedule for tomorrow (and they have a lot of stunning examples of their work on hand to show off):
• 10 a.m. – Dave Wright, on how he makes a Windsor Chair
• 11 a.m. – Brooke Smith, on Bent Lamination Joinery
• Noon – Bob Compton, on Windsor Chairs
• 1 p.m. – John Goyer, on shaping chair parts
• 2 p.m. – Donna Hill, on inlay and stringing
• 3 p.m. – John Fitzpatrick, on carvings for a Philadelphia lowboy
• 4 p.m. Dan Rearhard, on designing a carving
And George Walker is here for the duration to talk about all things design.
Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.