After the worst Thursday on record, I awoke the next morning and resolved to sort out this stool. I needed more maple, so I headed to Frank Paxton Hardwoods and found the perfect board waiting for me. Straight. Clear. Flat. Reasonably priced.
So I assumed I’d get into a car accident on the way home. (No collisions.)
I milled the new seat, assuming it would be case hardened and twist on me (I was incorrect). Then I took it to the bench to drill the holes for the legs. The previous seat was a disaster, so I planned for this one to be worse. I bored the holes and they weren’t perfect, but they were within a degree of perfect.
I turned the stretchers and assembled the stool dry.
I stood back and looked at the whole thing. The front stretcher was just too much. Too much detail. Too many tapers. Too much busy-ness.
I set the stool aside and dealt with some other problems until this morning. I turned a new stretcher from some scrap and put the stool together again. It was better. Good enough to assemble.
After gluing up the stool, I thought about turning the stretcher attached to the rear leg 180°. Everything was wedged together so it was too late to take it apart. I’m satisfied with this design, but I still think I have one more iteration in me.
— Christopher Schwarz
Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.