Sure, we have several excellent new woodworking books and videos in the works and I’m sure I should be writing about those. But with “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” sales coming up (and me hopefully off work most of next week to clean, cook and eat, then eat some more), I thought I’d take a few minutes while I’m still in the office to list what I consider “must haves” from among our older offerings (because I suspect many of these will be ridiculously inexpensive on Friday, Nov. 28 and Monday, Dec. 1).
So, if I didn’t already have them, these are the top 10 books and videos I would want from among Popular Woodworking backlist offerings (with the caveat that this list reflects my ways of working and primary interests – that is, we have some good router books; they are not on my personal list):
• All of Roy Underhill’s “The Woodwright’s Shop” DVDs
• “Workbenches: From Design & Theory to Construction & Use,” by Christopher Schwarz
• “The Perfect Edge,” by Ron Hock
• “Handsaw Essentials,” by Christopher Schwarz and PW contributors
• “Made by Hand,” by Tom Fidgen
• “Handplane Essentials,” by Christopher Schwarz (available now only in PDF format)
• “Restoring, Tuning & Using Classic Woodworking Tools,” by Michael Dunbar
• “Woodworking Magazine 1-16” on CD (or download)
• “Popular Woodworking Magazine 1995-2013” DVD
• The Practical Woodworker,” edited by Bernard Jones (set of four)
Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.