The following statement contains 99 percent corn, but the remaining 1 percent is what gets me moving in the morning. The greatest woodworking gift isn’t a tool or a shop accessory. It’s watching someone else fall in love with the craft based on something you’ve done.
If there’s someone in your life who might be teetering on the edge of becoming a woodworker, purchase “Good Clean Fun” by Nick Offerman for them. It might push them over the edge.
“Good Clean Fun” is the most (intentionally) hilarious woodworking book I’ve read. Offerman, who runs Offerman Wood Shop in California, is a bona fide woodworking nerd. Combine that with his dry wit and you have a woodworking book that will make you laugh out loud.
In addition to Offerman’s take on the craft, he includes projects from other people who work in his shop and family members (don’t skip the chapter from his brother on cribbage boards).
Unlike most woodworking books that tell you “how” to do the woodworking thing, this one also tells you “why” it’s so much fun and fulfilling. And being able to communicate that is a rare gift. Thanks Mr. Offerman.
— Christopher Schwarz
Read Day 1 of the gift guide here: Clauss Scissors.
Day two on a Boot Tray for Sharpening.
Day three on humidity monitors.
Day four on a MWTCA membership is here.
Day five on the Arno burnisher.
Day six on WoodOwl auger bits.
Day seven on the Veritas spokeshave.
Day eight on Trusco toolboxes.
If you’d like to read gift guides from past years, check this link.
Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.