Roy Underhill loves to travel—and luckily he takes along his camera so he can share the sights with us. “Travels with Roy in America” has eight hours of classic woodworking from The Woodwright’s Shop.
- #908 ORDER IN THE COURT — Roy visits the site of the 18th-century James City County Courthouse.
- #1111 THOMAS JEFFERSON, WOODWORKER — Roy visits Monticello to look at some of the architectural creations and innovations of the former President.
- #1201 BENTWOOD BOXES FROM THE NORTHWEST COAST — Roy visits Gregg Blomberg and explores woodworking traditions of the Pacific Northwest.
- #1204 HISPANIC FURNITURE MAKING — Roy learns about woodworking on the Santa Fe trail.
- #1212 WOOD CARVERS OF THE SACRED — Roy explores religious carving and woodworking in the mountains north of Santa Fe.
- #1506 THE WOODEN BOAT SCHOOL — Roy travels to the Wooden Boat School in Brooklyn, Maine, to view three approaches to traditional boat building.
- #1511 BOATBUILDERS OF MYSTIC — Visit the shores of Blue Mountain Lake to see how to make an Adirondack guide boat and a pack basket. And of course, take a look at the region’s signature furniture.
- #1711 HANCOCK SHAKER VILLAGE — Take a trip to the Hancock Shaker Village to learn more about the Shaker tradition.
- #1811 OLD SALEM — Roy visits Old Salem, N.C., founded in the 1760s by the Moravians. Their craft lives on in the recreated town.
- #1813 JAMESTOWN WOODWORKERS, 1607 — Learn about the history and the early settlers of Jamestown, Va.
- #1906 BUILDING THE CLIPPER AMISTAD — Roy is in Mystic, Conn., to visit a shipyard during the rebuilding of the 19th-century clipper ship Amistad.
- #2007 EASTFIELD VILLAGE — Roy visits Eastfield Village, N.Y., to learn how craftsman Don Carpentier replicates the woodworking of early American settlers.
- #2211 PLYMOUTH PLANTATION WOODWORKERS — See how the Pilgrims performed early American woodworking with just a few basic tools.
- #2213 CRAFTSMEN OF OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE — Visit Old Sturbridge Village and meet the 1930s American—a farmer/craftsman.
- #2512 THE MUSEUM OF APPALACHIA — Roy discovers the history of Appalachian people at the museum in Clinton, Tenn.
- #2513 RESTORING JEFFERSON’S & MADISON’S HOMES — Roy visits Monticello, Poplar Forest and Montpelier to investigate the construction and woodworking.
Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.