Sharp Tools Work Better! Get the perfect edge with video sharpening instruction from expert Ron Hock. Every woodworker either has or will face the task of sharpening as a part of their hobby or occupation on a nearly daily basis. Some will choose the simplest method to sharpen their tools, while others will look for the superior method for an unparalleled edge.
- What “sharp” means – and how to get there
- About properly heat-treating and tempering a tool blade
- How to put an initial grind on your blade, and whether hollow or flat grinding is preferred
- The pros and cons of various sharpening stones, and what makes them different
- About setting angles for sharpening and some recommended jigs that can help
- To sharpen plane blades, chisels, gouges and scrapers
- And much more!
Make sure you’re getting the best performance from your tool edges – by making sure they’re truly sharp!
Watch a Preview Now:
About the Host:
Ron Hock, who has a BFA and MFA in Studio Art from the University of California at Irvine, began Hock Tools in 1981 after leaving his family’s sheet metal business and moving to the Mendocino Coast where he built a small machine shop. He began making highly crafted knives and shortly thereafter worked with the staff and students at James Krenov’s fine woodworking program, making plane irons for experienced woodworkers. Since then, Ron has developed a full line of quality blades and kits, has given countless lectures about steel, tools and heat-treatment and wrote the now-classic book on sharpening, “The Perfect Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Sharpening for Woodworkers,” on which this video is based.
Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.