Online Extras: June 2010 Issue
Here are the Online Extras for the June 2010 issue.
* Read David Charlesworth’s story on the ruler trick.
* Visit David Charlesworth’s web site.
* Purchase replacement scraper plane blades from Ron Hock.
* Purchase David Charlesworth’s DVDs.
* Click here to to see how to make dog holes for your workbench top with a plunge router.
* Click here for more reader questions and comments, as well as our editors’ responses.
* Tricks-in-Action shows you a free video of one of this issue’s tricks in use in our shop. Watch the “Dovetail Tape Trick” – as well as a few of our other blue-tape favorites.
* Visit the new Tricks of the Trade page online.
* Tricks editor Kari Hultman writes about woodworking on her blog, The Village Carpenter.
* Watch our free video of Laura Ann Arnold and her husband, David, as they learn their way around the shop.
* Download the free SketchUp plan for the table and matching bench.
* All the “I Can Do That” articles are free online.
* Watch this trim router and baseplate in action in a free video.
* Read our review of trim routers from the June 2006 issue – all but one of the tools reviewed is still available.
* Buy a digital copy of our special publication, “The Complete Guide to Routers.”
* Read “Under the Rope and Into the Doghouse.”
* Read “It’s OK to Make Mistakes.”
* George R. Walker writes three times a week on the Design Matters blog.
* Read about Editor Christopher Schwarz’s visit to George R. Walker’s shop.
* Buy George R. Walker’s “Unlocking the Secrets of Traditional Design” DVD.
* Download a free SketchUp model of the White Water Shaker Table.
* Take a free tour of the White Water Shaker Community.
* Read about the White Water community, its furniture and history.
* Visit the official Friends of White Water Shaker Village, Inc. web site.
* In Our Store: The “Pleasant Hill Shaker Furniture” book.
* In Our Store: “The Complete Shaker Collection” CD.
* Download a free SketchUp model of the Queen Anne dressing table.
* Video: Glen explains a bit of history about drawer slips, and how they work.
* Video: Discover how to turn a block of wood into a Cabriole leg.
* In Our Store: Glen’s book, “Building 18thcentury American Furniture.”
* In Our Store: Glen’s DVD, “Finishes That Pop.”
* Sign up to take a woodworking class with Dale Barnard at his school in Indiana.
* Download a free SketchUp model of the stool featured in Barnard’s article.
* Watch an episode of the HGTV show “Modern Masters” about Dale’s work on a Greene & Greene-style home.
* Read more about original Arts & Crafts period furniture.
* See a collection of original furniture in the book, “Grove Park Inn Arts & Crafts Furniture.”
* See Peter Follansbee’s work and read his blog.
* Discover more about Plimoth Plantation.
* Read the Arts & Mysteries blog.
* In Our Store: Adam Cherubini’s “The Arts & Mysteries of Hand Tools” CD.
* Watch our free video at to see the lack of vibration in the Bosch MRC23EVSK router.
* Read Christopher Schwarz’s entries about coping saws.
* Read Joel Moskowitz’s blog (owner of Tools for Working Wood).
* Watch the six-part video series of bringing this old machine back to good working order.
* Visit the Old Wood-Working Machines web site.
* Visit the Old Wood-Working Machines companion message board.
* Watch as Rob Millard installs curved inlay on a breakfront door.
* See how craft knives and a C-clamp replace a router when doing inlay.
* Build a Federal Inlay Table – free drawings and step photos (June 2004).
* “Precision Band Saw” techniques with David Charlesworth (April 2008).
* In our store: “Fundamentals of Inlay: Federal Table Leg,” a DVD by Steve Latta.
* Contact Country Workshops.
* Read about Roy Underhill’s The Woodwright’s School.
* Discover John Wilson’s The Home Shop.
* Read about the College of the Redwoods.
* Watch Thomas Lie-Nielsen’s video on “Techniques and Sharpening.”
* Read detailed sharpening instructions in Pete Taran’s “Saw Filing – A Beginner’s Primer” on VintageSaws.com.
* Shop for saw sharpening supplies, including files, sets and a modern saw vise from Tools for Working Wood.
* Purchase “The Perfect Edge,” Ron Hock’s new book on sharpening.
* Visit the “Flexner on Finishing” archive.
* Bob Flexner’s book, “Understanding Wood Finishing,” is available at Amazon.com.
* Video: Wood Whisperer applies varnish.
* Read Bob Lang’s “An Authentic Arts & Crafts Finish.”