After splitting my mallet log into quarters (see part one of this project by clicking here) I turned to the lathe work. I produced four different mallets, each one with its own unique handle. I turned the first and the second handles identical, then altered one of them into a hexagonal shape. I was curious to see if this handle would feel better in my hand, theorizing that because in closing a hand over the handle, we form a polygon shape (try closing your fingers on an imaginary handle and look at it, you’ll see what I mean), perhaps a hexagonal handle would fit best. Then, I turned the two remaining mallet handles, each with a different design.
And now its time to announce the winners of the mallet pageant.
The first and second place are reserved for two handles that are very much the same.