To test how effective your chosen workbench is, you’ll need to make something. Doubtless we all complete very similar tasks, but we also all have our own preferences which leads to tweaking designs. We might take a little off the leg or add an extra dog whole, whatever makes things easier.
The first test for my completed workbench was to add some sides to a vehicle jump ramp we made a while back, to prevent the vehicles from falling off before completing the death defying stunt. The bench fell at the first hurdle, it was far too tall…well, too tall for a five year old anyway. This was duly cured with an upturned crate and normal service was resumed. It’s not the design evolution I expected, but effective.
Next it was time to “make a house.” I put forward a dovetail construction which we duly set about. No issue here, the vise worked great, a bit of PVA and a few nails and it all came together well.
The reason for sharing my experience is to avoid too much analysis or to try and make the “perfect” bench.