I made a wooden screen door to replace the nasty aluminum one on my house. Here’s how I did it.
First, I measured my door opening, then added a 1/4″ or so to accommodate fitting the finished project , I expect that to be the most difficult part of the project, because in my 1895 house, nothing is square (or level, for that matter).
I decided to go with poplar, because I plan to paint the door with several coats of exterior-grade latex. Were I using a clear finish, I might have opted for teak, cedar or cypress, because they hold up well in exterior applications , though I’d have added a few layers of spar varnish for good measure. But poplar is cheap… and so am I, which is why I decided to make the door myself instead of ordering a custom one. But I did troll a lot of custom door sites for design inspiration.
I had to balance my plan decisions with the tooling available to me.