Late yesterday afternoon a group of guys from Porter-Cable and Delta stopped by the Popular Woodworking shop. After meeting the early arrivals and while standing in the F+W Media lobby waiting for others to show up, someone mentioned that they wanted to see the “Gluebo,” Megan’s LVL workbench that graces the cover of the November issue.
What’s funny about her bench is that folks don’t just want to see and study the bench, they have a penchant to stand , or should I say jump , on the bench to find out if it is as strong as Popular Woodworking makes it out to be.
In Valley Forge at the Woodworking in America conference, I can’t tell you the number of woodworkers that mentioned Megan’s video and her jumping on the bench (click here to watch the dance). In fact, one attendee was caught atop the bench with camera phone in hand asking that I take his picture.
The guys from PC and Delta, here on a fact-finding mission and on their way to visit a couple different shops and woodworkers, took their turn on the now-famous Gluebo bench. As you can see in the photo, the bench took their best shot and prevailed, but a couple of the guys felt a bit of swaggering.
LVL Bench – 3 (or is that 6?), woodworkers – 0
(For all the management-type folks at Porter-Cable and Delta, we really had to coax the guys to jump up on the bench.)
Looking for More Free Woodworking Information?
– Sign up for our newsletters to get free plans, techniques and reviews HERE.
– Like tools? We do! Read our latest tool coverage HERE.
– Looking for free project plans? We have hundreds. Click HERE.
– Learn a new woodworking technique today. Click HERE.
– Want more videos? See all our free videos HERE.
– Check out our selection of half-price woodworking books HERE.
– Get 8 years of Popular Woodworking on one CD. Click HERE.
Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.