Quick Survey: How do You Finish Your Projects?
My favorite top-coat finish is spray lacquer. Sure, I’ve used just about every finishing product under the sun, but I keep coming back to spray lacquer because it’s so fast and so difficult to mess up. In the dead of winter when I can’t spray outside, I use a wiping varnish.
As we plan our finishing coverage for 2009, we’d really like your input on a key piece of data: What is your favorite top-coat finish? You might use several different kinds of top-coats in your shop, but which one is your favorite one to use? It can be your favorite because you like the results or because it’s easy to use or because it’s not toxic. A few notes:
– We didn’t cover all the application methods possible for all the finishes. Yes, you can spray varnish, paint and an oil-varnish blend. Simply pick the type of finish that is your favorite: varnish, paint, oil/varnish blend.
– We didn’t list “Tung Oil” because it can be a wiping varnish or an oil/varnish blend. Does your tung oil cure soft on the lid of the finish? It’s an oil/varnish blend. Does your tung oil finish hard? It’s a wiping varnish.
Take our quick survey below. And then check back to view the results. I know that we’ll all be following this one closely.
– Christopher Schwarz, editor
Looking for More Free Woodworking Information?
– Sign up for our newsletters to get free plans, techniques and reviews HERE.
– Like tools? We do! Read our latest tool coverage HERE.
– Looking for free project plans? We have hundreds. Click HERE.
– Learn a new woodworking technique today. Click HERE.