Imagine a high school physics class full of enthusiastic kids, eagerly working on their assignments and having fun in the process. Imagine these kids taking their projects home, getting their parents and siblings interested enough that the whole family heads to the shop to work together and make some more. Sounds impossible, but that’s exactly what happens in the classes taught by Trevor Smith at Troy High School in Troy, Michigan. The secret? Boomerangs.
Smith wrote an article on building boomerangs for the December issue of Popular Woodworking. It was one of our favorite articles of the year, and you can read it for free online by clicking here. We also have a free video available by clicking here.
If you’re pulling overtime elf duty in Santa’s Workshop and need one more gift, you can make a boomerang in an hour or two. Or if you’re going to have young people (or old ones too) hanging around over the holidays, take them out to the shop and get them involved. It’s the kind of project you’ll want to come back to, and it will come back to you.
Looking for More Free Woodworking Information?
– Sign up for our newsletters to get free plans, techniques and reviews HERE.
– Like tools? We do! Read our latest tool coverage HERE.
– Looking for free project plans? We have hundreds. Click HERE.
– Learn a new woodworking technique today. Click HERE.
– Want more videos? See all our free videos HERE.
– Check out our selection of half-price woodworking books HERE.
– Get 8 years of Popular Woodworking on one CD. Click HERE.
Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.