- US paper consumption has more than tripled since 1960, with the typical American now using 347 kilograms of paper every year – more than 50 times the amount the average African uses;
- in the UK today, nearly 5 million tonnes of paper are being dumped in landfill or incinerated each year. On average, each household in the UK throws away 2-3 kg of newspaper and magazines each week;
- every day Americans buy 62 million newspapers and throw out 44 million. That's the equivalent of dumping 500,000 trees into a landfill every week.
- approximately 12 billion magazines are printed annually in the USA. Less than 5% of magazine paper has any post-consumer recycled content.
- 90% of all American magazines are discarded within 1 yearof being printed, and many books and magazines are thrown away before they even make it to the shelves.