Streaming video — Available at ShopClass.PopularWoodworking.com
DVD — Order now on ShopWoodworking.com
Learn more about all Roy Underhill episodes here.
Episode Guide Season 4
- The Dominy Shop — Roy takes us on a tour the Dominy Shop at Winterthur Museum. The shop holds the tools and shop items used by three generations of craftsman from 1750-1850.
- A Spring Pole Lathe — Roy walks us through the steps to create a simple, but accurate and functional spring pole lathe.
- Ball & Claw Feet — Roy welcomes Wallace Gusler from Colonial Williamsburg, and he shows the process to create a cabriole leg with a ball and claw foot.
- The Wainscot Chair — Roy works with his daughter, Rachel, to create a child-size, 17th-century chair found in a book by Wallace Nutting.
- Tool Boxes & Chests — Roy explores the contents of a recently purchased tool chest, trying to determine something of the original owner. He then shows how to recreate the chest itself.
- Chip Carving — Mack Headley from Colonial Williamsburg visits the shop and demonstrates the chip carving techniques used to decorate furniture.
- Good Fences — Roy looks at the details of early-American fences, including lightweight and portable fences used for sheep herding, garden fences and more substantial post and rail “fences” used in forts built around 1620.
- Kitchen Gifts – Roy shows you how to make some always-gift-appropriate and useful utensils for the kitchen including a rolling pin, heavy spoon, a collapsible drinking cup and more.
- Raising The Shop — Roy pitches in with the raising of the frame-and-timber structure for Anderson’s Forge at Colonial Williamsburg.
- Building A Boat — Roy builds a small rowboat using traditional tools and techniques.
- Rittenshouse Hygrometer — After discussing how humidity affects different wood species, Roy makes a clever and simple late 18th-century hygrometer to measure the humidity in the shop.
- Corner Cupboard — Roy recreates a classic pine corner cupboard.
- Highchair — To celebrate his new nephew, Roy builds an 18th century baby’s high chair with rush seating.
Discuss this season in the comments below.