In my “Make a Panel-raising Plane” article in the November 2013 issue of Popular Woodworking Magazine, the iron I use came from my reserve of “New, Old Stock” (NOS) irons. These irons were made in England up to about WWII. Each iron is tapered, and of laminated construction – the tool-steel cutting edge is...
Inventor and engineer Burton “Burt” Weinstein died on August 9, we learned in a press release from General Tools & Instruments. He was a long-time consultant for the company, to whom he sold his business, Simp’l Products, in 2006, with plans to retire. But retirement didn’t work for Burt, so he remained a consultant...
Woodworking in America 2013 is October 18-20 at the Northern Kentucky Convention center. It’s three days of woodworking fun and education sessions (47 of them!), plus two days of the Marketplace – where you can see and try out the best collection of tools under one roof anywhere, and talk with the makers (that’s...
I’ve been a woodworker for a few decades now and read many a woodworking text and tome and have yet to read an article on how to sweep. Sweeping is the first job any woodworker learns but I find that there are actually few who can do it well, they stir up a cloud...
- A New Workbench Build for the New Hire
- How to Tooth Your Benchtop
- Tool Test: Bosch Colt Router Plunge Base
- Woodworking Sex Appeal
- Strip Zinc with Citric Acid
How To Buy Streaming video — Available at ShopClass.PopularWoodworking.com DVD — Order now on ShopWoodworking.com Learn more about all Roy Underhill episodes here. Episode Guide Season 4 The Dominy Shop — Roy takes us on a tour the Dominy Shop at Winterthur Museum. The shop holds the tools and shop items used by...
- The Secrets to a Greene & Greene Finish
- Slideshow: Cut a Matched Box Lid
- How to Sharpen Dull Router Bits
- Solid Workbench on a Budget
- Tool Review Grace USA Screwdrivers
- Three Easy Steps to an Authentic Stickley Finish
- Video: Lay Out an Ellipse in 4 Minutes
- Shop-made Mortise Cleaning Tool
- The Secret to Positioning Rule Joint Hinges
- Learn to Draw Around Corners
- Slideshow: A Foolproof Way to Glue Up Boxes
- Two Tricks for Tuning Up a Mortiser
- Would You Cut Up This Table?
- Learn to Sharpen the Tricky V-chisel
- Gallery: Campaign Furniture to Feast Your Eyes On